Thursday, March 22, 2012

Boring, boring, boring.....

Remember last week when I met my friend for lunch?  The one who is having the baby in May?  Here I thought I'd surprise her with that baby outfit, but it was me who was surprised when she handed me a bag with a belated birthday gift and inside I found this darling clutch that she made for me!  (And in some of my very favorite fabrics too, I might add).  Sooo cute!  Thank you Elaine, I love it!


You probably are wondering why I titled this post, "Boring, boring, boring".  Well, with our really unusual weather here in Wisconsin, I can't stop my brain from thinking that it's spring and I should be planting instead of sewing which normally I do in May.  This whole week we've been having high 70's and 80 weather and just two days ago, I even caught my boys taking an afternoon nap outside.  Normally, on March 12th, we'd be shoveling 12 inches of snow!  I just stare out the window all day it seems and watch the grass grow and my lilac bush sprout her leaves.  I can't help but wonder what will happen if we suddenly go back to our normal March temps!

I did manage to do my bitty blocks for the "Alice in Wonderland" theme (not due until the end of May) though:

What?

BBC - Alice in Wonderland theme

Let me tell you, those teeny tiny 3.5 inch blocks are no easy task!  I think I spent all of 3 days on that first one doing all 12.  I was told that sewing the little pieces was easier with a newsprint stabilizer, but little did I know what a pain it would be to take it off:

Stabilizer

This pile was from just 8 blocks:

Not fun!

AND......I did make another mug rug just for fun:

"Here Kitty Kitty"

So, that's it!  The only other thing I have been doing is searching the web to find another Havanese puppy to buy.  Think I'm crazy?  Who knows?  We really think Toby needs a playmate!

18 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love the 'cat-a-tude' mug rug!! We are unusually warm - no winter here at all - thankfully with the price of fuel oil!

Susan said...

Crazy weather! You're having Summer weather and we're already having Winter!!! Ugh! LOVE the cute mug rug!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Your 'Alice in Wonderland' bitty blocks are just adorable and that kitty mug rug..too cute! TFS
~Terry~ :o)

Rachel said...

LOVE those id you remember to make the stitch smaller? I just did a foundation pieced block and made the stitch small enough that the paper was literally falling off of it.

SandyQuilts said...

All you need to do is spray the paper lightly with water wait a couple minutes and poof paper falls away.

They are darling.

Jan Maree said...

Love your blocks as always - and oh I could sure use a snooze like that right now!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Those blocks are fantastic!

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Oh Carol, those Alice blocks are adorable. I can't believe they are so tiny. I am thinking that the image on my computer screen is probably bigger than the real block.
Keep up the great work.
Debra

Cindy Sharp said...

I bet Toby would love a friend to play with.

Your blocks are beautiful, but that is no surprise. :0)

Sewconsult said...

Cute mug rug. Make smaller stitches. I also think that your tension need to be a bit tighter.
Good luck with all the Alice blocks. Bet it will be a real winner.
Beckie

Annie said...

Go ahead, just keep rubbin' it in about the wonderful Cali-like weather you're having! Why don't you come visit me, you'll feel right at home except still without the snow.

Aint that a cute bag she gave you!

Susan said...

Love your Alice blocks - definitely ditch that newsprint stabilizer - maybe try the iron it away stuff! or wash away - or one you can leave in. Cats are very cute too.

Larissa said...

That mug rug, and blocks are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Goodness, you never cease to amaze me!! I am in awe of your creative mind ... how can I get me some of that?! ... Have a great weekend!!

Sewing Sue said...

I love the Alice blocks! I'm in Wisconsin too and lovin' the spring but waiting for the 'other shoe to drop'!! Thanks for showing our lovely work.

Sewing Sue said...

OBVIOUSLY I meant YOUR lovely work... fat fingers this morning.

Rettabug said...

Darling little creations, Carol! Next time, use a wash-away stabilizer & you won't have to pull off paper...just dip the block into some water!

I got a kick out of seeing Toby curled up on Bob's legs...too funny!

Re: second dog...Yes, You ARE CRAZY!!!!!!! LOL

Hugs,
Rett

p.s. Thanks for posting my link to the Pinterest discussion. I asked them take down all MY photos & they responded within 6 hours. I was impressed!

Judy said...

I love your blocks especially since Alice was watched so frequently at our house.
What a cute mug rug with the kitties :-)
Enjoy your warm weather!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Sweet stuff! haha - I had to laugh at the sign that said 'off with your head. lol
~Monika