Saturday, April 14, 2012

I'm trying......

I'm hardly over my "non sewing" slump, but while trying to beat this thing, I thought I should maybe try to start a project that I've been thinking about for awhile.  My niece, who lives in Florida, is pregnant with her first child.  It will be a boy!  Knowing my niece, a typical baby quilt just wouldn't "do".  She is not the "baby-baby" type and is a 30 something, so I thought I'd try my hand at just a neutral type quilt with maybe some heavy straight line quilting.  ('Course, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, cause I'm no where near that far yet.)  Now......usually, (in my old life) I'd have this whipped up in no time flat, but............now I have a 8 1/2 lb dog who jumps on beds like a small gazelle.  AND......in my old life, I'd lay my blocks out on my bed since I don't have a design wall.  So now what?  Needless to say, this has cramped my style a bit!  I finally decided to clean off my kitchen island and lay out the strips there.  Good thing this won't be big, huh?  After the first three strips this is what it looks like:

WIP - Baby Quilt

I have mixed feelings.  I'm hoping a few more strips will improve it, and if not, my quilting will dazzle the whole thing .........perhaps wishful thinking on my part????  Oh well, at least it keeps me sewing for now.   The background is Kona Snow and I cut up various pale Kona neutrals for the beiges......

Neutral Kona Strips

I know......hardly exciting!  Sorry about that!  Hopefully, this will look better all finished!  Keep your fingers crossed........PLEASE?????  In the meantime, I think I will go clean my house!!

16 comments:

Jo said...

I think this is so far outside your comfort zone and may be that is why you can't get excited about it, but, it really is lovely, and a new modern Mummy will love it. I can't wait to see how you quilt this, as far as I am concerned quilting is the hardest part, but sure you will 'wing it'. By the way think the non sewing thing is world wide, not much going on anywhere. Good luck

Susan said...

E-gads as you said before - go clean your house?? Can't you sew instead?? Things must be desperate. I quite like your pale quilt top - I can imagine what it could turn into once it gets under the machine - (soem circles or spirals?) but it is Very DIFFERENT to your normal style and I think that just goes to show how talented you are!

Lesley said...

This little quilt top is still perfectly pieced and perfectly coordinated...just like everything you do! Enjoy the process!

MB in MI said...

I really like this!

Helen said...

Well iTs not the usual Carol style that we know and love, but it still looks great! I like it!!!

Cindy Sharp said...

Clean the house?! That is just crazy talk.

Your quilt is lovely, perfectly contemporary.

Might I suggest you treat yourself to some compasion and enjoy each moment, sewing or not. You are not defined by the quilts you make. There is more to life than sewing (gasp). Go live a little.

Lisa Martin said...

I think it is a great background to a few, wonky houses, or maybe a little train, after all it is a boy. and those look like train tracks. going around the lake.

Annie said...

It's a very classy modern quilt top. I quite like it very much!

tillymint said...

I'm loving this quilt, the balance between the Kona Snow and the pieced blocks is lovely. Can't wait to see it quilted and finished!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I don't know if you really need it or not Carol, but my fingers are crossed for you. Very cute little quilt for baby-to-be.

Susan said...

I love the subtlety of the colour palette - quite different for you! It will be even more beautiful when it's quilted, I'm sure! Keep going, and no more nonsense about cleaning!!!

beachiesews said...

I bet she will love it...A: Because it is from you. B: Because it is not the usual baby quilt. And you know, it helps to clean the house sometimes, makes you walk away from the project and look at it now and then...let's you make up your mind on what to do. Sometimes plan B is the best!

stitchinpenny said...

I love it, but if you are concerned why not add 2 borders, one the bright blue one the darkest brown only 1.5 inches each, but accentuating the colors inside?

I hate to cook! said...

Just found your blog :) I love it!

Leanne said...

I think this will be a lovely sophisticated quilt and if you do straightish line quilting it will be lovely. However, it is so different from what I expect from you. Maybe you need to make a companion quilt out of a bunch of very bright blues and greens that is more your style and then she can report later as to which one she uses more.

Rettabug said...

I'm sorry you're still bumming, Carol. Did you get your thyroid checked yet????

The quilt will be wonderful once you put your special finishing touches on it. Its just not your usual color palette, that's all. I think the modern Momma will love it!

Hugs to you, my friend,
Rett