Friday, May 22, 2015

Crazy busy…..

Wow!  I've been crazy lately.  Between contractors calling and coming here to give me estimates on painting my kitchen cupboards, checking out new hardware for those eventual pretty cupboards, and my latest passion, it seems the time just flew by this week.  I guess that's good.  At least I'm not bored like I was on occasion this past (cold and dreary) winter.

Thought I would show you my latest (and last) swap quilt.  It's for the group QT Mini's and the theme was "Kittys".   I thought I would finish my swapping career with a bang!  As you know, I've been quilting since August of 2008 (was a kid's clothing sewer prior to that for years) and I think (at least for now) that I am done.  Not to say that if I would get a "Lady" commission that I would pass it up…..NO, NO, NO!  I LOVE doing the ladies, and will continue those until I get to #100.  I am at #80 now.  I do have one scheduled for fall, but until then, I have packed the fabrics away until some of this household stuff gets done.  Anyway, I named this quilt "Friends" and it turned out to be 10x15 inches.  I like it and my partner in Germany liked it too so that's a plus!


Of course, I continue to send books with decorated envelopes to my sweeties:






AND…..you're not going to believe this…….I didn't read a book all week!  E-gads, isn't that amazing?  I did, however, indulge in several knitting articles and reviews and you tube instructions in order that when all my stuff comes from "Lord knows where all I ordered it", that I will be all set to go to knit my first ever, PAIR OF SOCKS.  Yes, my friends, I am branching off into unknown territory…..even at my age!!  E-gads!  That is, if my poor "crampy" old hands hold out……..(say a prayer, please!!)  I so want to do this.  Last week, I went to a local yarn store and bought this gorgeous stuff.  Dummy me should have them "ball" it for me.  Hello!!!  I figured it would be no big deal to do it myself, but (you won't believe this) it took me 3 whole hours and lots of tangles to get it all in a ball.   Now I'm dreading the other 5 hanks/skeins I have coming from my recent internet shopping.  I might be doing more "balling" than knitting next week.


So, that's the news.  You just never know, huh?  Lord knows what I'll be doing next?  (Hey, most often I don't even know!  Seriously!  Have a great Memorial Day, my friends and be happy!  Until next week…….

8 comments:

Jan aka StampQn said...

I think you need to market those awesome patterns you've created over the years for your mini quilts. I would be first in line to purchase some!

Mary said...

The Mini is very MINI!!! Have fun re-doing your Kitchen. Then you can sew again. Having the Balls wound at the store is the Best IDEA ever! Or buy a Yarn swiffer. Your hands will be screaming if you have to hand wind all that yarn.

Createology said...

Oh the joys of contractors and worker bees...NOT! I adore your "Friends" mini quilt. It is precious. Interesting that you are putting fabric away for a while. Knitting will be relaxing (?) for you. That yarn is beautiful but the shop should have offered to wind it for you. I used to be the winder for my Grandma. Always love your uber fun envelopes. Creative Bliss and Safe Memorial Weekend...

Ellyn said...

I'm not a huge kitty person but that mini is adorable! I approve

kiwikid said...

Beautiful kitty quilt...and the envelopes are amazing once again. If there wasn't a handy child who had to stand and hold the wool on out stretched hands.....my Mum used to put a chair upside down and put the wool on the legs and wind into a ball from there. Used to grumble about having to do that to be honest, no problem these days!! Lol!!

Bonnie said...

I too have several hanks of yarn that need to be wound in a ball. Love the idea of using a chair. It's too hard to lay it on a couch cushion and try to roll it up. My recommendation -- only roll the yarn you want to use first. That wY you get to the fun stuff faster. Enjoy!

beachiesews said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of yarn...oh how I love good yarn! Not that cheap stuff, the good stuff. I have been crocheting for about 2 years and knitting for almost a year I believe. I love both. Love crochet for blankets, knitting for clothing. And yep, have them cake it for you at the store. As far as your hands...I am a past carpal tunnel in both hands and have to be careful. That is why I do not like to hand sew. With the knitting I use a very light hand. With crochet I use a large handled hook. It makes a huge difference. I am going to knit socks as well this summer. I found a pattern for ankle socks...I think that will be good for around where I live. Enjoy your new hobby...I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Donate that fabric...then you don't have to feel guilty about it laying around!!! Have a great week! Sue.

Susan said...

Love the cat quilt - please don't stop making quilts - I love visiting your blog to see the latest creations - OK I'll give you time off for renovations - but please keep going....