Thursday, January 28, 2010

"285"

And the marathon continues.......!!!  I don't know if you realize, but other than the first doll quilt, I have been using my leftover 1 1/4 inch strips from my "Squared Insanity" quilt.  I had a bag full!  I really was planning on returning them to the basement after the Freddy and Gwen quilt, but then I thought of the neat trick that "Oh Fransson" did on her blog with gridded pellon so thought I should try it.  I went to my local Joanns, but low and behold, after I cut about a million 1 1/4 inch squares, the pellon I bought was not the iron on kind.  Duh!!!  Now what?  No worry, I'd just go get the right stuff the next day.  EXCEPT.....the next day it was freezing outside!!!  No way am I going out in the really cold weather, so I decided to sew them the old fashioned way...piece by piece.  First I put them all in a bowl (a 5 inch in diameter bowl) so if I sneezed, none would blow away.  LOL  Then I chain pieced each colored fabric to a white one.

When I was done with sewing them all together, I ironed the seams open as nice as I could...and it wasn't easy getting it really flat.  Try as hard as I could, I couldn't match all the seams perfectly.
But it didn't look as bad as it could have, so I had to take a picture with items to show how small the squares (3/4 inch) really were.

Sneak Peek

But, then, what was I going to do with it? I loved it already and knew that I could never give this one away, especially when it matched the Insanity quilt so well, but how to finish it???? Until a brilliant thought came to me. Make a frame and hang it on the wall. So I did..........and amply named it "285" because that's how many squares are in it. Cool, huh?

"285"



12 comments:

beth said...

yes...very cool!

Cole's Corner said...

I love it! Very cool!

Poppyprint said...

It's so cool, it's freezing...just like your weather! Love it. And hey, what non-matching seams?? Pshaw.

Jen said...

Yeah, I don't see the unmatched seams either!! You did a great job piecing. It's very cool!

Rettabug said...

First you had "Squared Insanity", then you had "Squared Up" & now "285" with more squares. I see a theme in your life, Carol. LOL

I thought you were going to make a pillow out of it, to go with the quilt, like you did with my lime & black one.
I ♥ that quilt!!!!! :D

I ♥ this one, too!

Anonymous said...

I love the black addition. Really makes the colors shine.

jacquie said...

totally coo! good for you doing it the old fashioned way!

Brenda said...

Love this little gem Can understand why your not giving it away.

Chris said...

Love it! The black and white framing really sets it off perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love it! You are so good at color. Those are some small pieces!

Amanda Jean said...

it's amazing! i love it. and it's even more special because you pieced it all together. how many times did you burn your fingers when pressing? ;)

Susan said...

It's a stunner and a keeper for sure, Carol! I can't believe you. I can't even imagine cutting out all those little squares, let alone piecing them! Maniac. lol