Saturday, January 26, 2013

Meet Maria - #31

The ladies are beginning to reach their destinations so I can breathe!  I always worry that someone might get lost on their way home.  lol  (Knock on wood though, so far, everyone has found their way......and hopefully that will continue!!  I have one still traveling some distance so keep your fingers crossed for me, please?)

I'd like to introduce you to Lady #31 - Maria from Australia.  You might recall that I already named one of my first imaginary ladies, Maria.......but she was from my craziness, and this one is very real!  As always, first the drawing, then her eyes, and then the final quilt.

#31 - Maria - the drawing

Maria's pretty eyes

Lady #31 - Maria from Australia

And, here is the real Maria from Australia.  At first I wasn't quite sure I could capture Maria correctly, but then she gave me permission to make her hair a bit more wild and wonderful, so I was in business.  You can reach Maria at her website here.


Besides answering a whole mess of your inquiries as to having your own portraits done, I also finished another 12 1/2" block for the Flickr friend's group quilt project.

"We Ruff U"

THEN...............drum roll here please...............I made my very first zippered pouch.  Yes, I did!  Hello!!  You would have thought this would be a slam/dunk for me, huh?  After all, I made kids clothes for years......but believe it or not, I always used buttons.  NEVER zippers!  Zippers are no-no's on smocked little girl dresses, doncha know???  So here it is.  I copied a mug rug that I did last year and made two so both sides of the pouch are identical.

My 1st (ever) zippered pouch 8 x 5 1/2"

The insides of my first zippered pouch

And my special touch for the bottom........a few kisses:

Kisses for the bottom

So, that's the latest!  I have one or two projects to go and then I start on the ladies again.  Stay tuned!


20 comments:

gpc said...

I LOVE Maria's hair -- it makes me like her a lot! :) And I LOVE your pouch -- I still haven't tried a zippered pouch, although it's been on my to-do list since november.

Jennifer said...

gorgeous! I'm so tempted to order one of these, i'm sure you have a list a mile long though haha

Gill said...

I love Maria's quilt! and your pouch is fabulous! I can't believe it's your first!!

Maria said...

What a cute little pouch purse you've made; love it! Maria's quilt is gorgeous! I've been a follower of Maria's blog (and she of mine) for quite a while and I don't think I've seen a close up photo of her, so it was nice to see that one that you used. Put a face to the name now...
Cheers
from 'The Other Maria'

Ellyn said...

I agree, Maria and I have been blogging buddies and swapping pals for years and I never knew what she looked like! Your quilt of her is fabulous and certainly captures here awesome personality! The zip pouch is fantastic too!

Karen said...

Maria is wonderful,Carol! I love her spiky hair and her gorgeous eyes. You sure do have a wonderful talent there. I've never made a zippered pouch and I avoid zippers like the plague! I love yours, though! I used another of your gifts recently (a pattern)and tried the wonder tape you sent. I made a little boy's smocked suit for Boy's Week at Project Run and Play. It is up on my blog. Have a wonderful weekend!

Sheila said...

This is my first time seeing a photo of Maria too and thanks for sharing , I love the portrait you did for her , just amazing , you are so talented!

Needled Mom said...

I saw the portrait on Maria's blog and just loved it. You did a fabulous job and I know she was thrilled with it.

Susan said...

Its amazing how many of your "Ladies" quilts are popping up as Blog profile pictures in blogland. I love Maria's hair - she may be off to the hairdresser soon to get hers colour matched!! Glad you conquered your zips!! I think we all think they are worse than what they really are.

Annie said...

Well dontcha know I LOVE Maria's hair! So glad Maria arrived at
her destination to meet herself! The puppy is SO adorable. Love the birdie accent, Carol! And your pouch is to die for! Kisses on the bottom...BEST!

Lois (AKA Onnie) said...

Wow! My first time to your site. You are such an artist!! I am so envious! Beautiful work!

Lappedamen said...

You are fabulouse with the these quilt portraits.

Jan Maree said...

Maria is fabulous! Both as a model for your quilt and as a real blog buddy! I think she is a gem and you have done her proud!

Cindy Sharp said...

Your pooch and pouch are both fantastic! They make me grin ear to ear on a very gloomy day.

As always your Guildy Girl rocks too.

Well done.

Brenda said...

fun, fun, and more fun! I like the measuring tape bow in her hair.

Kim P. said...

I'm in love with the pouch you made. Luv the colors and all. Beautifully done...zipper and all :)

Rettabug said...

This "Maria" looks like a really FUN lady! You did a great job capturing her essence...love the hair!

Yay, you on doing a zippered pouch. I had no idea that you'd never done them. Your little hand stitched kisses on the bottom are a delightful touch, Carol. SEW you!!

Hugs,
Rett

S Staum said...

I love your ladies! How would I go about ordering one?

carol said...

Gramma, you have a no-reply blogger so I can't contact you. If you want to talk about having your fabric portrait done, please contact me at my e-mail address on my side bar. Thanks!

Maria said...

I am just over the moon with "ME".
It was nice to read all the comments from my blogging buddies as I had never put a photo of myself on my blog.
Your little pouch is lovely..