Tuesday, July 13, 2010

More Flowers

I thought by now I'd have the quilt done that I showed you last time, but I got "chicken" and thought I'd mess it up, so gave it to my friend, Shirley, to free motion quilt for me. I wanted nice swirls like Kellie does on hers. Once I gave it to Shirley though, I really wanted to make another one, so got out all my stuff, and sort of made up my own pattern making some of the flowers smaller and the stems, thinner. I used a fancy stitch on my machine for that. And when I was done with the fusing and raw edge applique, I looked at it and wondered if I could actually quilt it myself. I checked out all the u-tube videos of swirl quilting, and studied the pictures online of everything I could find and finally made up a small quilt sandwich to practice.

Practice Swirls

Shirley told me to draw a leaf shape and flower and to pretend that it was a fused applique so I could practice going around it......so I did and I didn't think I did too bad of job for my first attempt, so decided to quilt my quilt myself. (Nothing like a swirl virgin, huh? .......A friend called me that. LOL I thought it was a riot.)

Close-up

And here's the whole thing done. This one might go to my swap partner......it's in the running!!

"How does your Garden Grow?"

Next time I'll show you Shirley's and then you'll know why I wanted her to do it. I'm positive that hers will be 1000 times better, but at least I tried and isn't that what this quilting bug is all about?

11 comments:

Val said...

OMG I LOVE this! I think you did a wonderful job.

Heidi said...

What a wonderful quilt. I love the skinny stems

Rettabug said...

Oh my gosh....Carol, can you see me jumping up & down in my chair??!! I think it looks WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm SEW impressed that you would jump in & try this without any formal teaching. WTGo, Girlfriend! Now come here & help me get the hang of it. LOL

I ♥ ♥ ♥ your little bluebird of happiness up there...too cute!!! :D

Poppyprint said...

You did an incredible job - you're not a virgin anymore Carol, hehe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Luv 2 Kreate said...

LMBO @ swirl virgin! You did a fantastic job!!

Terri said...

What a beautiful quilt, I love the swirls! Great job!

Mama Spark said...

Fabulous job!!! Good for you for overcoming your fears, this looks great!!

Jo said...

I love your quilt, and the quilting is wonderful. I have looked at youtube quilting, and one day will pluck up courage to have a go. Like everything you do this is great.

Millie said...

This looks great Carol. The quilt is beautiful.

paisley and lace said...

Just found your blog, and absolutely inspired. I love seeing how you designed this, and the quilting is amazing! Just beautiful.