Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pincushions.......

Anyone going somewhere special?  Need a wrist corsage in a minute for something?  I have just the thing! Look what I made (and please ignore the "phylo dough" looking old hands and arm.  That's what happens when you age, unfortunately).

Fun and funky wrist pincushion

And, here is a side view:

Side view of wrist pincushion

I had so much fun making that!  First I picked out my fabrics for the petals so I could do colonial knots in the same colors in the white spots of my checkered middle ball.  I stuffed it with 100% cotton stuffing, but now I wish I had used a cut off styrofoam ball 'cause the pins wouldn't be as likely to fall out.  (No fear of stabbing yourself that way either.)  I will be making another one within a week or so, and I will take pics along the way so I can show you the process!

Then, I decided that my FLiPS partner needed something special, so I made Frank!

Meet "Frank" the FLIPS frog

If you click on the picture, it'll take you to my Flickr page where I listed the link to the pattern.  He was made as a bean bag by the original designer, if you can believe?  Too cute to throw around, I think!!!  I stuffed him with crushed walnut shells that I got at Petco in their bird department.  It gives it nice weight while still being somewhat floppy.  (Not only that, but it's good for your needles!)

Then last, but not least, I made this pretty little pink pleated pincushion.  (Say that 4 times fast in a row.  lol)

Pretty little pink piped pleated pincushion (with hand stitching)

I actually had something else in mind when I made all those pleats and they should have been closer together, but I decided to make something out of my mistake anyway.  Besides, who doesn't love pinks, and oranges together?

So, that's it for today!  For some reason, I don't work as fast as I used to.  (Probably because DH is home now and gets in my way or needs something all the time!!!)  What is it with these guys?  Something can be right in front of their faces, and they can't find it?  I don't get it!!!

Have fun week, my friends and sew well!  I'll be back soon to show you a few more things.  Until then....................

20 comments:

Sheila said...

I love your pincushions ( and all of your art), Your imagination and use of colour is inspiring. Don't worry about your hands, they are a sign of a life well lived. (mine look much the same)

pinsandneedles said...

Just love all your pin cushions! Too pretty/cute to use!

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Gorgeous pin cushion. I will have to make one of these.

Nancy said...

My guild is having a pin cushion swap in June...I am totally stealing the pleated idea..

brownj6610 said...

I'd love to see these on the Riley Blake pincushion project.

Patty C. said...

I love your pleated pincushion - what a wonderful "mistake" !!!

Lesley said...

This was such a fun post to read and to see! Your pincushions are adorable!

Annie said...

Your pinnies are always so adorable! Love this pleated one too. I think it would have worked well with your knots idea (probably just not enough knots for you, huh.) The pleated ones make me think vintage and you are turning them to modern vintage. Brilliant! What's old is new again.

tillymint said...

What gorgeous pincushions! All your work is so beautiful... I love your use of colour. I don't think I could bear to stick pins in Frank though, he is way too cute!

Sara said...

Phyllo dough hands you are silly:P

Love that froggie, I agree that he is too cute to toss around!

I was looking at a pleated pillow at a friends house yesterday that looked very similar to that pincushion and thought I should make that!! You should see the towel I finished recently on my blog;)

Yes men are like that totally---so I see it doesn't get better with age---tehehehehe!!!!!!!!

Suvi said...

Love that pleated pin cushion!

Anonymous said...

I adore the pleated pincushion, so modern!!
The frog is also adorable, but I like the sleekness of the pleated cushion and the stitching.
Brenda
Texas

Dianne said...

Adorable pin cushions! Esp love the pleated one!

Dianne said...

Adorable pin cushions! Esp love the pleated one!

Gemma@prettybobbins said...

This is such a timely post! I am currently in the midst of a pin cushion making frenazy :) Well, I've finished 2, am half way through a 3rd and have 3 more designs drawn up. I might just have to make a pleated one though, that is gorgeous!! I especially love how you incorporated your tag into the frog; so clever!

Sewconsult said...

Such an creative talent! Does your brain ever rest? Love all the pincushions!
Beckie

Leanne said...

Your not as fast is far faster than most of us can ever aspire to. The pincushions are all wonderful!

Wendy said...

Hang on, hang on... too cute to throw around, but not too cute to stick pins in!!

Loving everything you've made, especially that pleated pincushion. Beautiful!

sewhappy said...

I just LOVE your flowery pincushion! Good idea about the foam rather than normal stuffing. Think your frog prince is cute too. I have a similar one filled with lavender that hangs across the top on my computer screen, I may just have to make him a pal! Pop in to your blog regularly - great content. Recommended by my friend SewJo2009.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Pink and Orange DO go well together. Husbands and just boys in general, can never find anything. I think they just like for us to go and help.