Friday, May 18, 2012

"Summerville"

I don't usually promote lines of fabric.  Not to say that I don't have my favorites, but with the cost of goods today, and no sponsor, it gets a bit pricey.  More often than not, I have a plan or purpose when I go to my LQS.  Either I need a bit of this or that to start/finish a project, or maybe I'm just thinking about a color and want to see what they have.  Last time I was there, I was blessed with a charm pack of Moda's new release, "Summerville".  The owner of the shop, Julie, asked that I make something with it just for fun.    I was perplexed to say the least........what should I make?  I knew she'd want me to bring it in to show her Moda group so it had to be good.  Well, you already know that I used some of it for a few wrist pincushions:

3 "Summerville" Wrist Pincushions

Since I was in the pincushion mood, I thought she might use them as door prizes.  That might be fun!  But, the majority of the charm pack, some Moda solids to match, and 4 fat quarters for backing was used to make these:

"Summerville" Placemats

I fell in love with that pattern out of the new book, "Quilting Modern" by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pedersen, and just had to try it!!  (And NO, I did not get a free book just to promote it!!)  I had to buy it just like all of you, but I LOVE it!!  There are tons of things I want to try, and that rarely happens when I buy a quilting book.  (Usually I can come up with enough of my own crazy conceptions without using someone else's ideas!!  lol)  I must say though that the quilting of the projects in the book are simply amazing and stunning and really enhance the overall design of each project........but enough.  Let me show you each placemat:

Placemat #1

Placemat #2

Placemat #3

Placemat #4

Did you note the quilting?  It took me forever, I'll have you know, and 4 bobbins worth of thread, but really all worth it in the end, I think!  I love them.......although I wonder if I'll ever use them with the Kona Snow background?????   Maybe I'll just put them away and use them as a Christmas gift.   I could buy some more "Summerville" and make matching napkins?  Now, wouldn't that be really cool?  I think that's a plan!!!  

21 comments:

Quilty Conscience said...

Beautiful! And the quilting? What can I say? Perfection? That might be the right word. Toni

Brenda said...

I love that fabric and your projects are great. that quilting is amazing and I'm not surprised it took lots of thread. I think you should use the placemats -- for eating cereal with milk, and vanilla ice cream, but not spaghetti sauce or pizza!

Leah said...

They look wonderful! I love all the quilting!

Kathy ~~~ said...

GREAT JOB! Love the quilting!

Bonnie said...

These are amazing. The quilting is wonderful. I think I would keep them and hang them on the wall as a small grouping. I'm not sure I could use them around food either.

Annie said...

I've taken a seat at that lovely table and I'm feeling quite summery and I just know you are about to serve me a nice summery shrimp salad. I promise to eat neatly and not spill a bit.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Those are pretty fabulous!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

What fun placemats...love your quilting!! TFS
~Terry~

Anonymous said...

Love the placemats, the quilting is amazing. You are such an inspiration and I look forward to each an everyone of your post.

Anonymous said...

Oooh-la-la. Those placemats are gorgeous. You must be quite the neat eater, because my family would have spaghetti stains on those in a heart beat (lol). Too beautiful for the table, those "modern art puppies" belong on the wall!!!!! My favorite is the placemat with the blue binding---fabulous.
Brenda
Texas

Susan said...

Fantastic indeed! And how great would matching napkins be!!! Love it!

beachiesews said...

Oh, I really like these...but I'm with you...no white for my table! It would drive me crazy! I love the quilting...I think I will make something similar later this summer when I am hibernating from the heat and trying not to go crazy...I will just go quilting crazy instead!

MariQuilts said...

They're so fabulous....I wouldn't want any food spills on those either. I love the book as well.

Lesley said...

These are spectacular. I have a new appreciation for color when I see these. Love the quilting!

Belinda said...

Wow! Love these & the quilting is amazing!

Larissa said...

These are gorgeous - BOTH the placemats and pincushions!!! ... And that quilting is just to die for!!! Well done!!

Wendy said...

Gorgeous! I love the modern design of the placemats and all that quilting is just fabulous

Sara said...

those are so great Carol!! I have some wonderful Summersville as well...can't wait to cut into it!

Anonymous said...

I love this line of fabric and the placemats. Thanks for buying our book, can't wait to see what else you make!

Jo said...

I love your placemats, something I never thought I would make, but you may have changed my mind.

Amanda Jean said...

those placemats are really cool! and i totally believe that you went through gobs of thread...that's a lot of quilting! well worth it, though.

i got to meet Jacuqie in person finally in Kansas City and she was just wonderful!