Thursday, May 31, 2012

Plantin'

You'll flip when you see this!  AND......I've been doing this for years..........like maybe 20...or 25?  I remember years ago when I'd tell people what I was doing and they'd look at me like I was a nut case or something!  Not so much anymore!  Now they think I'm brilliant!  And wonder why they didn't think of it themselves.  (Just shows you that I was WAY ahead of my time!!)

See this:


Pretty, huh?  Well, I used to have LOTS more.  In fact I had big huge lawn and leaf bags full of them in all sorts of colors!  This is only what's left.........plus a few new ones that I bought on sale this spring.  Now I store them in a plastic bin.  They do get sort of stinky after being in the ground......


See what I mean?  Now, look at this.........can you even tell that they're fake?  NOT!!  AND.....you NEVER have to water them either!  And you can plant them in early April in Wisconsin and people think that you have the greenest thumb in all the state!


Actually, in all truthfulness, I started doing this in just this area of our home since this spot is plagued with roots from all the big bushes behind it (which is owned by the neighbors behind me) and I could never plant a thing and have it live long.  Besides, I hated dragging the hose back there to water it.  Personally, I think it looks pretty good!


I did plant a few real flowers too.......just so you don't think I'm a complete slacker!  And I planted two tomato bushes which I didn't photograph (yet).  If I get a great crop, you can betcha you'll be seeing it though!!!


And, how do you like my pride and joy?  This is my $50 plant and dummy me can't remember the name of it.  Duh!  A horticulturist, I'm not!!  I just thought it was pretty!

$50 plant

I gave DH the watering job!  After all, what else has he got to do????

9 comments:

Mary said...

Oh that is TOO FUNNY! I need those for where the heat kills all my plants in the front walkway. I could have any color I wanted there then. Dollar store - here I come.

Cindy Sharp said...

I know we must be related now. My grand dad used to do this too. Only then they weren't so pretty, and made of plastic. And he put them out in the snow.

Your version looks much better than his!

Darlene said...

That is ingenius!

Your $50 plant looks like a Mandevilla. Very pretty :-)

Carol said...

My parents do this too. Only they forget to bring them in at the end of summer. Flowers blooming in the winter just looks a little odd. hahaha.

Annie said...

I call them "Forever Flowers" I started planting them when I got tired of the gardening thing. There's nothing better than a real flower but this is better than nothing sometimes.

Susan said...

I have done that too ocassionally - for parties etc. To me your pink plant looks like a Dipledenia (not sure of spelling - and that is an Aust take on things). DH watering is just a good example of "Sharing the Work" or "Delegation of Duties".

Anonymous said...

Vine is a Mandavilla! If you take it into the house in the fall, you can put it out again next summer, too!

PLEASE tell me you don't leave the silks out during the winter, though!

Nancy B said...

Your Mandevilla looks beautiful! Mine hasn't put out any blooms yet. Hope to see some soon!

Lisa said...

Mandevilla is beautiful. That plant if taken in will get kinda pitful during the winter but oh next spring/summer it will sprout forth and be AWESOME!