Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Baby it's cold outside...

E-gads, it was only 9F degrees (for all you Aussies out there sweating at the beach) this morning when I woke up.  Even with the heat on at 70F in the house, it's still chilly!  Brrrr!!  Good thing I took some time between the holidays to get out my machine and sew up something that I've wanted for a few years.

Do you remember this stuff?

Cozy flannel

Well, it didn't take long to cut it up and sew it back together again in simple squares.  (A bit simplistic for me, I'll admit....BUT fast, and that was the point!!)  I knew that although we had 40's for most of December, it would change fast and we'd be shivering in the living room at night with our high ceilings and that darn ceiling fan supposedly blowing the warm air downward.....(ya, right????)  If you ask me, wind just makes things colder!!!

Flannel Quilt

Can't get much easier than that, huh?  I wanted something that looked like northern Wisconsin (although I really live in southern Wisconsin) for years.  I know, don't ask!  My hubby thinks I'm nuts too!  It ended up at 62x72 inches so it's a nice size for snuggling under!  Good thing I had a reservation for quilting that I hadn't used.  My quilt shop got this done in a record ........2 DAYS.......can you believe????  I love that store!!!!  And doesn't it look nice hanging over my couch?

All ready for use.....

And it's toasty too!!!  Please stay warm, my friends above the equator!  Winter doesn't last forever!!!  And for you Aussies who are sweating on the beach.......smile!  You have no idea how cold 9F degrees feels!  (I know...I have a nephew who works in Perth!)

18 comments:

Unknown said...

looks amazing! simple but beautiful! (well not that simple, I se beautiful patterns quilted!)
xxxx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's just as cold here in NY - and the wind chill is making it worse. Just love the simpleness of this and yes, it does say cozzy!

Sandra Kaye said...

Love your flannel quilt...It looks great with your home. Hugs

Christine M said...

Your quilt looks great. I love the simplicity of squares. Today in Melbourne it is going to be a bit cooler 24C (75F). Monday was about 40C (104F) and yesterday was 38C (100F)! We were woken up by thunderstorms this morning.

Annie said...

I'm really glad to see another side of you. I love those colors and it looks great in there! Our daytime highs have been pretty nice in the low 60s. hahahahaha But gosh darn it!...it's supposed to be snowing in Wisconsin!

Cindy Sharp said...

Flannel is God's gift to people who live in colder climates. Your quilt is beautiful.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love flannel quilts - they feel soooo good! It was 11 degrees here in northern Illinois this AM - much warmer than Wisconsin! - Jeanne

Susan said...

I feel your pain- well, almost! We had 40 C the day before yesterday! And I totally agree with ceiling fans rotating in the opposite direction to bring the warm air down!! Doesn't make sense! Nice quilt, BTW!!!

Susan said...

OK I will admit 9F is a little cool (-12C I determined) but then again 90F is a tad too warm for comfort too (Brisbane Australia) - though there have been temperatures of 108F in the southern half of Australia recently. Thanks goodness neither winter (for you) or summer (for me) dont last forever! Love your quilt - perfect for cool times.

Elaine said...

Your quilt looks so warm and inviting! Love your color choices. Can't believe that PW got it back to you in only 2 days!!!

Quiet Quilter said...

I'm getting my flannel out NOW!

regan said...

That quilt is gorgeous....and what a pretty living room! Nice!

Happy Scrappy said...

Wow! Beautiful!!

Quilt Kitty said...

The quilt looks great. Perth today was 34 degrees on the website (about 93) but felt a lot warmer. Chilly outside, sitting snuggled under quilt with a nice open fire going sounds very good about now. Tracee xx

Shayla Sharp said...

And here I am shivering at 40F--my goodness, at 9F its a wonder you didn't freeze to your fabric!

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Simple! Yet an amazing result.

Cynthia said...

Even your simple quilts are to die for!!! I love your color combinations. This one looks so cozy and warm - perfect for the rest of the cold winter months.

Gmama Jane said...

I agree with Cynthia when she says even your simple quilts are to die for! You have such an eye for color and mixing them together just right!! BTW, I love your living room, so neat and pulled together. Those pops of color are just like your quilts. I can't wait to see your creations for 2012. I wish I could get so many projects done like you
Blessings
Gmama Jane