Saturday, January 21, 2012

Solids........

I think I told you that I had a passion recently to get out the solids and just "play".  I really felt like trying to do something graphic, but still "me" (if that was possible) without any whimsey.  (Sorry about that for all you whimsey lovers out there.)  Actually, I wanted a challenge, if you will.  Lately, I have been seeing so many abstract, colorful quilts that I just HAD to try it too!  First I got out all my favorite colors and sewed up a storm trying to come up with a plan:

Eikes!!!

As soon as I saw that picture, I knew some of that stuff wasn't going to work, especially if I wanted "graphic".  So, I cut the yellow strip in half, and made some more pieces:


As of this moment, I am stuck, so I had lunch and looked at it, and looked at it again, and prayed that at this stage, I don't mess it up!  So far, I'm really liking it and it seems to be designing itself, in a way.  Perhaps, I am getting divine intervention, I don't know.  All I know is that I really would like to finish the top today sometime.  Only the first 3 sections are sewn together.  See:

Progressing..........

Now to fill in the blanks and try piecing the rest of this puzzle together!  E-gads!  Wish me luck!

25 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Very cool. Love the black with the brights. You will get it done and it will be wonderful.

Sharon T said...

Please don't stop! Love it!

MariQuilts said...

I'm loving it....makes me want to run to my stash and start cutting and sewing. Have fun with it.

Lesley said...

Now this is really neat! I love the bright, bold fabrics. It is already a stunning piece!

Sonia B said...

You. Are. Awesome. And so is that quilt. Love it!!!

Lynda said...

absolutely love where you're going with this - the choice of using navy was brilliant. I haven't been sewing long enough to have a stash of solids like that. Someday

Shayla Sharp said...

I love the direction this is going--it makes my eyes happy!

Susan said...

Love it!! For the Fab Little Quilt Swap, I'm going to try to be brave and use solids too! You've inspired me!!!

Amy Friend said...

I really like the section on the left that you have sewn together.

gpc said...

No question, it's going to be beautiful.

Elaine said...

this is GORGEOUS! i LOVE it!

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

It looks fantastic so far!! Keep going :)

Nathalie said...

love, loVE, LOVE IT!!! It is so inspiring. Can't wait to see what the final product will look like.

Gmama Jane said...

Once you finish I know it will be wonderful!! You know I'm your biggest fan!! I still love your Whimsical look the best. It's so YOU!! I might change my mind once I see the finished product. Surprise me!!
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Michele said...

Oh, I like it too. It definitely looks like you're having a good time!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Love it!!! Can't wait to see it all done!
~Terry~

Susan said...

You will have it sorted by the time you get through all these comments. It takes a real talent to be able to do this - IF I could even hope to do that I would have to draw it up first and then play around with it - then I would get over it and it would never happen.

What Comes Next? said...

I'm loving it Carol!

Sharon M said...

Love it so far. Can't wait to see it finished. I know how you feel about the blank spaces. Don't force it, it will come to you, what to do next.

Emi said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Annie said...

Is that background black or navy...it looks both in different areas of the photos. This is really looking cool!

Rettabug said...

What FUN you have, Carol...you're like a kid in a candy store, sampling some of this & a little of that. I envy you that creative gene so much!

Warm Hugs,
Rett

p.s. Loved seeing Toby out in the snow...too funny!

Rettabug said...

"perhaps you didn't "rub off" on me a little"...I think it was the other way around, my friend!

Dianne said...

Its gonna be GREAT!! I love the bit that is sewn together and the balance of the yellow stripy bits on either side. Will be interesting to see how you finish it off.

Helen said...

Love it Carol!!! You inspire me!