Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A fooler....

My daughter turned 35 on the 3rd of January and asked if I'd make her a peach pie instead of a birthday cake when she and her hubby came for supper.  Now normally this might not sound like a problem, but remember..... I live in Wisconsin and this is the beginning of January.  Where was I going to find peaches without jumping on a plane or taking out a mortgage even IF I could find some decent fresh ones.  Instead, I decided to use frozen peaches.....BAD IDEA!!  Don't do it!!  Although the pie might look pretty.....without lots of ice cream on top, it was yucky!  Frozen peaches are not for pie making.....believe me!  Maybe if you froze your own peaches, maybe, but not the ones from the grocery store.  Next year, the poor girl will get a cake and that's it!!!  No more peach pies in January for me!


On another note, I have been sewing again and it feels so good.  I pulled all (well, not all, but some) of my solids out and decided to give them a whirl.  I have some very abstract, arty type quilts in my head that really need to come out and solids are the only thing that will work.  I did make a couple already, but I really can't show you until I decide if I'm going to use them for an upcoming swap or not.  I have about 3 more in my head that I need to work on first and then I'll decide.


Did you see that picture?  Not bad, huh?  I took it with my new point and shoot camera!  Hubby bought it for me for Christmas, but our local camera store was all out so I had to wait until last week to get it.  My old one was 6 years old, only had 5 megapixels and really took crummy flash shots.  So far I don't see much of a difference between my old one and new for shots in the sun, but the flash is another story!  Wow!

My new Camera

Here's one of Toby:

"Hey Ma, let me in!"

On another note, look what I bought last week when I visited my local quilt shop when I went with a few friends:


Isn't it beautiful?  These are not Kona colors, oh NO!  This jelly roll is called, "Fresco" and it's by Patrick Lose.  Every single color looks hand dyed......they're gorgeous and I can hardly wait to cut into them!  I'm thinking they'll be perfect with the Malka Dubrawsky fabric that I'm waiting to get!  I might need sunglasses for that combination.........yippee!!!  How cool!  Until next time..................

12 comments:

Sandra Coleman Clarke said...

Hi Carol, I love your blog. Your pie looks yummy. Have you ever made an easy pie using canned fruit? They are quite good.

Sandra Coleman Clarke said...

Hi, Let me know if you would like recipe.

Annie said...

I was reading and thought, frozen peaches? Try canned next January. You always come up with fun solids quilts. That jelly roll looks gorgeous! Look forward to seeing what you create.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, like Annie said-= can peaches work for pies. I have one of those JRs, too, but have yet to find inspiration to cut - just really fell in love with the color and texture.

Susan said...

Love the Fresco fabrics - and yes in Australia we would be using tinned peaches (frozen are not easily available here that I know of) Maybe next time make her a peach pie for a half birthday and cake for the real one???

Elaine said...

your pie looks delicious and that jelly roll is going to look fantastic with the Dubrawsky fabric! I can't wait to see what you have been making with your new solids.

Sara said...

Ok no frozen peaches...thanks for the advice. A girl can use that someday possibly:)

The solids look beautiful:):):):)

Happy Scrappy said...

Ha ha..if I EVER make a peach pie, I shall remember that :-). Can't wait to see your abstract arty-type quilts.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Your PUPPY is A-dorable!! I just want to call him over and give him a hug!

Very pretty, brite colors in that-thar jelly roll!

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Rettabug said...

Luscious colors in that jelly roll, Carol & Toby looks absolutely darling with his paws on the window like that! What a cutie pie he is!

next time, try using canned peaches for your pie & a little thickener, like cornstarch or tapioca. Works great & I actually like it better than fresh.

Stay warm & I hope you DON'T get that snow,
Hugs,
me

Dianne said...

Okay. Could Toby BE more adorable??

Snoodles said...

What a precious pup! Those colors in the jelly roll are awesome...can't wait to see the projects "in your head" here on the blog! :)