Friday, November 23, 2012

Cookie Baking 2012 Segment #4

Now that everyone is all full and fat after the USA Thanksgiving holiday, we can continue on the cookie baking marathon.  Today's cookies are easy ones.  I used to make the first ones all the time and not just for the holidays.

GINGER SNAPS

3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

Cream all and add slowly:

2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Roll into small balls and roll into sugar before placing on an ungreased (or parchment topped) cookie sheet, baking at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. 


Your cookies should turn out a bit more crinkly than these pictured.  Duh.....when I was done and noticed that they were still so round and not crinkly like they're supposed to be, I realized that I forgot to add the baking soda.  Hello!!!  Oh well!  They still taste good, so don't tell!  I'm not going to and I bet no one notices.......!  

The next cookies have ALWAYS been my son's favorites.  Thus the name.  (Here's my cleverness taking over again)

MIKE'S MINATURES

1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup flour

Combine all, roll into disk like shape and chill in refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour.  Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut with tiny cutout about 1 inch to 1 1/4 inches in diameter.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees 6-10 minutes.  Frost with frosting.  

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons milk (or cream) plus a bit more if necessary
1/2 teaspoon almond extract


Naturally, you have to fancy up the tops after putting on the frosting.  Get yourself some red/green jimmies to do the job.  I had to make a double recipe of these cookies.  Mike wouldn't be happy with me if I didn't.


So there!  We're close to being done.  I have a ton more recipes, but this year, I'm sticking to just 10.  AND.......I think I will need to give you my French Silk Pie recipe too.  It was a huge hit again yesterday for Thanksgiving, just like always!  Happy baking!

4 comments:

Annie said...

You're such the snapping cookie names maker-upper...but you already know that. LOL I like the looks of Mike's Miniatures

Cindy Sharp said...

Yum.

How is your hand doing?

waggonswest said...

These look fantastic. Can you freeze Mike's miniatures with the frosting on them or does Mike take care of them before freezing becomes an issue?

Normally, I'd freeze them without and then frost them when I'm ready to use them, but I am all for getting things done ahead of time.

Gmama Jane said...

That hand looks like you took a hard *thump* in the night! Hope it's better! Question: Do you use All Purpose flour or self rising in your recipes? I'm assuming AP flour?
Blessings
Gmama Jane