Saturday, November 10, 2012

I think I'm going to be ill!

You're not going to believe what I did!  As most of you know, I don't claim to be a computer genius.......in fact, sometimes it's a wonder I can handle a blog at all.  AND...once you hear this, you'll really believe it!

Recently, I've been plagued more and more with an overwhelming amount of anonymous spam.  While I know that there probably is a market somewhere for "ambien" and female love on the open market, I personally could give a rip!  I mentioned this to a friend, wondering if she had the same problem and complained that just yesterday I had to delete 539 spam messages one by one and it was driving me nuts and that was only an accumulation from 4 days.  She wrote back almost immediately and asked why I didn't just use the box to the left and delete the whole mess at once.

WHAT?  There's ONE box I could click and delete them all at once?  How brilliant!!!  How come I never knew that????  Well, I couldn't wait to try it!  I rushed into the "Design" portion of my blog, went to the "comment" section and sure enough, there it was........a cute little box to the left.  I clicked and pushed delete and WHAMOO.........done!

ONLY ONE THING...........I wasn't in the spam comment section.  YES......I deleted 5,239 comments on ALL my posts from the very beginning of my blogging career!  Go check!  I thought I was going to throw up!  OMG....what did I do?  All your precious comments on my stuff and suggestions, and enlightenments........GONE!  Except, there is one bright light.  They are still in my DESIGN section..........so now, how do I reinstate them where they belong?  Anyone know?  HELP!!!!  PLEASE????  (I promise I'll never do it again, really!!!!)

In the meantime, I only have two little things to show you.  Dummy me, (as I shall now be known) was so enjoying making little mice, that I made some more.  Now I think I have enough at 20 total.  lol  I did make some Winter bitty blocks though:

Nov Bitty - Winter

And I did get an awesome FLiPS package from my partner, Cindy (yayaquilter).  In fact, the pincushion she made was my favorite in the whole swap and it landed at my doorstep this week.  Yahoo!

My FLiPS pkg from Cindy Jandt

So, that's my "not so good" news.  If any of you have any suggestions on how to fix my problem, PLEASE let me know!  I will be eternally grateful!  In fact, I'll even send you a mouse!  How's that?

25 comments:

brownj6610 said...

Me thinks you need a new Internet provider, one who controls the spam.

Jeanie said...

Sorry about your delete issue! It may be too late, but "Control Z" is the undo command. It's worth a try.

Love the smiling snowman faces! Hope your week end is a good one!

Computers.... can't live with em', can't live without em'!

Quiltjane said...

I 'export' my blog every week. So I can restore when needed.

Quiltjane said...

I 'export' my blog every week. So I can restore when needed.

Barb and Sharon said...

This is all I have found so far about recovering comments.

http://beehacker.blogspot.ca/2007/02/recover-deleted-comments.html

I hope it helps?
Barb@Witsend

Susan said...

OMGosh Carol. What a drama - I hope you can get them back. You did get a gorgeous pincushion.

diegoagogo said...

Accck!!! We have all done something similar I bet.
I am still trying to figure out how to change my header photo & how to personalise my background etc.
Good luck with the retrieval.
Lush
London, UK

Cindy Sharp said...

So sorry to hear that. i haven't a clue as to how to fix it.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Carol, one way to avoid all the SPAM in the first place is to not allow anonymous comments. Since 99.9% of all anonymous comments are SPAM, if you go into your settings and then comments you then choose "registered users" only as who can comment. Then you will never again get a spam. Then if you write in your little message your email address all written out (example spell the word "dot" and "at" instead of using the symbols), spammers cannot email you directly. This way a real anonymous person can still leave you a comment via email.
I know this doesn't help you retrieve your commnets, but can avoid your SPAM headaches in the future.

MariQuilts said...

There must be a way....everyones comments are to precious to loose.

Annemiek said...

I once deleted my whole BLOG by mistake with just one mouse click... All I could do (after feeling sick for a day) is start over.
I found this link http://en.support.wordpress.com/trash/#restoring-from-trash
Might be helpfull. If not: sob, sigh and start over :)

Leanne said...

This made me head off and back up my blog right now. (under settings, other and hit export blog). I try to do it now and again. I am sure there is a way, you could email the blogger folks.

Lesley said...

So sorry I can't help you out, but I adore your little snowmen and love that pincushion as well! Hang in there!

Jo said...

Oh golly gosh, I didn't know you could delete your comments let alone the whole blog as Annemiek did so I just have to watch my step or fingers as the case may be. I also don't know how to export my blog to keep it safe so that's now on my to learn list. Sorry I can't help you x

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Yikes I h@te when things like that happen! I hope you can fix it. I do love your snowmen and your pincushion! Hope today is a better day!

Sandi said...

How heart breaking, I hope you can restore everything. I have a spammer who is targeting one post in particular and I can't seem to block him. I think I'll try not letting anonymous posters as one of your other posters mentioned.

Great pincushion and snowmen!

barb's creations said...

Does your email have a delete on the left like the inbox if so click on that and it should all still be there as it doesn't actually delete them straight away and just click "all" and send them back to your inbox....

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

I knew you would make more mice, the snow men are super cute too.

Kathleen said...

they should be in your recycle bin...if you look in there you should see that file or the items that were in the file...all you have to do is click on the ones you want restored and hit restore....as long as you did not delete the items in your recycle bin you should be OK...they should still be in there.

Michelle said...

Oh no! I hope you can get them back, but if you can't, we'll all leave you lots of new comments.
:-)

Nancy B said...

So sorry about the blunder. Just a note to other commenters, Karen, at Sew Many Ways blog, has a lot of tutorials about how to "fix" things on your blogs. You might give that a look-see.

Happy Sewing!
Nancy

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

sigh

I have computer 'issues'. Hope things work out. At the least, we can all pitch in and leave more comments! : ) Your work is beautiful. I really love coming by here. ; )


there you go
best, Monika
(and I really meant that!)

Annie said...

Is there a book, "Blogging Mishaps for Dummies"? Can you imagine the sales figures?! I bet they'd be mind blowing! BEST MICE EVER!!!

Annie said...

MICE?! What mice?! hahaha (I got your posts mixed up....silly girl. Those are the cutest sincrinized snowmen ever! And wow, that's really a cool pinnie with all the stitch samples.

sheila 77 said...

Love the chorus line of happy snowmen too - remember the puzzle pictures where you had to spot the difference? I went back to look for the apron - what we call a pinny in Scotland. Very sorry to hear about your computer mishap - too easily done, hope you manage to get the comments back. Have you logged the question with Blogger before it's too late? - they do sometimes get round to answering.