Saturday, November 24, 2012

French Silk Pie and Cookie Baking 2012 Segment #5

Before I forget, we're going to start off with my French Silk Pie recipe.  This pie gets rave reviews every time I serve it and is the first pie to be finished on Thanksgiving even though I bring 3 different kinds of pies.  I gave you the pie crust recipe here.  Make the crust and let it cool before making this recipe:

FRENCH SILK PIE

Crust:  Use recipe I provided or use a ready made Pillsbury Pie Crust from a 15 oz package.

Filling:
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, cut into pieces
1 cup butter, softened (do not use margarine..it won't harden)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 large eggs

Prepare crust and let cool at least 30 minutes before filling.

Melt chocolate in small saucepan or in microwaveable container.  Cool.  In small bowl, beat butter, until fluffy.  Add sugar and mix well, add cooled chocolate, and vanilla.  Blend well and scrape bowl often.

Add eggs one at a time, beating on high speed for 3-4 minutes after each additional egg.  Make sure mixture is smooth and fluffy.  Pour into cooled baked shell.  Refrigerate!!  Enjoy

Homemade French Silk Pie  

Now for the remainder of the cookies.  Next is my husband's favorite.  (Probably because it was the only kind of cookie his mother ever made.  lol)

SPRITZ

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
2 1/4 cup flour
red and green sugar for decorating

Mix all and force through a cookie press.  Sprinkle colored sugar on top.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 6-9 minutes at 400 degrees. 


The last cookie recipe is for my daughter's favorite cookie.  I have been making this one since she was born and Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it.  

BON BON COOKIES

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
Marchino cherries

Mix all together except cherries.  If the dough is too dry, add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of milk.  Put small amount in palm of hand, and wrap around a drained marchino cherry.  Do all until the dough is finished.  Put on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees 12-15 minutes.  Dip tops in frosting, and decorate as desired.

Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoon cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
food coloring (I always make these pink for some reason)

Here they are in process:


And here they are all done.  You will not get this many from that single recipe.  One batch only makes about 32 cookies, so I usually make a triple batch.  Seems like I'm hiding cherries forever.  lol


Now I need to get sewing, I guess, otherwise I won't have anything to show you.  I hope you enjoyed this little break.  Happy baking!

10 comments:

Allison C said...

I'm pretty sure this pie is similar to what my mom always makes for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is AWESOME! She also makes spritz cookies and they are also my favorite.

Mommarock said...

I love French Silk Pie! It is my all time favorite. When it is my birthday, I always ask DH to go to the store and buy me French Silk pie. I didn't know I could make my own.. YUUUUUMMMY! I prefer mine in a chocolate crust like crushed oreos, hey the more chocolate the better, right? Is this a family recipe or did you find it online? I must copy this recipe and make it.

Leanne said...

Thank you for sharing all your cookie and other recipes, I am hoping to try a couple to add to my own usuals. No way anyone gets away with uncooked eggs in my house however, I bet it is yummy!

Annie said...

Alright now...let's give Bob a bit more credit than that...Spritz cookies are just plain awesomely delicious!...and that's exactly how yours look...DELICIOUS! Pass the plate please, I'd like to have a few!

Susan said...

What a choice - which ones to try???

brownj6610 said...

Umm, when do the eggs get cooked in the French silk pie. Most I can tell in your recipe is that the eggs are still raw.

carol said...

I've had two comments on the fact that the eggs don't get cooked in the recipe for the French Silk Pie. I guess I never thought of it before you asked. I have been making this pie (with this recipe) for over 25 years and no one has ever gotten sick yet. Thank God!!! I think if you keep it cold enough there shouldn't be a problem.........but who knows?

brownj6610 said...

Restaurants can't serve the old-fashioned Caesar salad anymore because of the eggs, and those eggs were coddled before adding to the dressing.

But your French silk pie looked good. I only read your recipe because I thought the chocolate was going to be folded into whipped cream to make it silky and then the 'eggs' popped out at me.

Enjoy it.

carol said...

After mentioning this to my niece (a sharer of the pie on Thanksgiving), she told me that in her extensive travels all over the world, that numerous countries eat raw eggs all the time and no one has died. I'm not going to worry about it! If nothing has happened to any of us in 25 years from eating this recipe, chances are, it won't.

sweetpach said...

Hola,

Un blog muy bonito.

Un beso. Raquel i Neus