Sunday, March 30, 2014

This and That


How cool is it when a reader writes to me and tells me that she thought she recognized one of my ladies from the information on my blog?  I was blown away!  Caroll, from the West Michigan Quilter blog did just that!!  And then, she was kind enough to take a picture of her friend, Beverly, (Lady #70 from last weeks blog post) and send it to me.  How fun was that?  I LOVE pictures of my ladies with themselves!!!  Thank you so much, Caroll!!!  (Now I'll have you all watching for the next Lady, huh?)


I'm still buying books!  (Much to my hubby's dismay, I might add!)  I did sign up for our library's "hold" program, but although I have "holds" on 5 different books from 5 weeks ago, I have yet to hear a word.  Good thing I have Amazon to help me fill in!!  lol  You will note in the stack below that one is labeled "Not for Sale".  Believe it or not, I won that in Goodreads.com First Reads program.  You sign up for a free book and if you win, you are expected to write a review.  Not a bad deal!  I have another one coming from them.  So far I won two!


These are the ones I read this week:

"Fallen Beauty"         by        Erika Robuck
"The Fault in Our Stars"        by         John Green
"Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet"      by    Jamie Ford
"The Warrior"            by        Joyce Swann

They all were pretty good!  I bought "The Fault in Our Stars" because of the amazingly high rating on Goodreads.com, but while I was reading it, it felt familiar, like I had read it before, so who knows, it might have been a book that I read here and there last year and never wrote down.  I hate when that happens!  I'll pass it on though.  I don't think my niece has read it yet.

Then………naturally………I sent out envelopes last week.  Thankfully, I have many made up ahead of time, so I can just pull one out when I need it for birthdays.  For the kids though, they like it when I coordinate the envelopes with the book titles (if you can believe?)  Sometimes, it's a real challenge!





So, that's the news, my friends!  Today I have to deliver Lady #71 to my quilt shop.  They commissioned me to do their long armer so I'm hoping she will be pleased.  Then tomorrow, I decided to have my twice a year cleaning ladies come to clean my house…just to treat myself…..and to pray for spring.  (It's 23 degrees here right now.)  I think I'll read a book while they work……ho hum!!  Maybe eat a bon bon or two too….he he!  I hope your week will be good too!  Until next time………...

8 comments:

Ellyn said...

lovely as always! Hotel on the corner of Bitter & Sweet was a favorite of mine.

Annie said...

We usually only see your portraits from your side of the fence, so it was a treat to see that photo on Caroll's blog and to see Bev there too. It feels more personal. Love the new slew of cute, cute envelopes. Happy reading!

West Michigan Quilter said...

I've watched and admired your fabric ladies over the years. I can't tell you what a treat it was to see Bev's in person. It is fantastic. You did a great job of capturing her in fabric. I enjoy following you and seeing your work.

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Another masterpiece, well done Carol.

beachiesews said...

Hey Carol...wishing you blue skies and green hills and pretty flowers in warm temps soon! It has been gorgeous here in AZ this winter and early spring.
I loved Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter and Sweet. It was a good history lesson, one that I was never taught in school! I just read The Invention Of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd...oh my...that was such a book. I got it from my library for my iPad and had quite a wait...but it was okay since they had many copies. That book was beyond powerful and just tore me to pieces...I usually do not read books like that, I can't take it. Now, I can't stop talking about it...I guess it did it's job! I am now reading much lighter books!
Have a happy week and smiles sent your way! Sue.

Createology said...

I love seeing Lady #70 holding her quilt. Her smile shows she really likes her likeness. Very smart of you to sign up and win some books to read. Always love your happy envelopes. Hoping you have Spring Sunshine and Warmth Soon...

Mary said...

I always like seeing the real likeness with their quilts. Amazon is my friend too. Many of my favorite authors have new books coming out in April, YEA!

Shirley said...

Just found your blog and I am in awe at the funny Cards you draw and the lovely portrets, you're a true artist! Gretigst from the Netherlands