Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Triplets and other stuff

The other day when I was thinking of something small to make for some friends, (just as little surprises), I checked my own flickr pages to see if there was something I could duplicate.  Surprisingly enough, one mug rug popped out as the clear winner!  I adore this mug rug!  It is SOOO me!  Lots of white, wonky colorful seaming, fun quilting, buttons and tiny binding.  You've seen it before:

"Just for Fun" mug rug

Now, I must admit, that I have never used a mug rug for a mug.  Oh.....I've taken pictures with mugs, and glasses, but for me, especially with a portrait style, my mug rugs get hung on a tiny little spot in my kitchen right by the back door so I can smile every time I let the dog out and in.  I sew an O ring on the back in the middle top and I'm all set.  I wondered if my friends might do the same, so I got to work and pretty soon I had triplets:

Triplets

Too bad they're all a bit different!  I guess that's what happens when you sew wonky without patterns!

On another note, my partner received the (not so cool) quilt I sent for the QT swap.  We had to do quilts containing items starting with the letter of our partner's first initial.  Here is the one I sent to Amy:

A - for Amy  (QT Swap)

You'll note I did it in the crayon method.  I didn't have a clue how I could get all that stuff in there any other way without working for a week.  Hopefully, you've spotted the alien with an afro in the airplane, astrology, arrow hitting an artichoke, arch, address, alarm clock, anchor, ant, alligator, apples dotted with lots of asprin and the "A".  Quite a challenge, I must admit!!

On another note, I must show you the most precious picture I have seen in a long time.  I met a lady from my area on a forum recently, and after talking to her and becoming friends, and having the Havanese breed in common, Wendy has been sending me pictures of her new "baby" named, Harvey.  He is only 4 weeks old on this picture and it'll be another 4 weeks until he comes home to live with Wendy, but I've been having such fun going through this journey with her.  Isn't he a absolute doll?


Every Monday, Wendy and her husband go visit him at the breeders and get just a bit of lovin' until they can bring him home.  How cool is that?  I LOVE puppies!   I couldn't stand it so I, too, contacted that breeder and my hubby and I are going to visit her (and see Harvey in person) in about 2 weeks.  Perhaps I just might consider getting another puppy someday too, who knows?  Harvey's litter is all sold!  What would really be ideal, is for us to visit every litter she has when they're about 6-8 weeks so I can get my "puppy fix" without actually buying one.  Wouldn't that be cool?

Oh, one more thing.......and this is to the reader who asked me what that red thing was on the white twig on the Charley Harper cardinal quilt from last time, but who has a "no reply" blogger and can't receive answers.  (One of my pet peeves, I must admit, especially when asking a question.)  The straight red lines are his tiny legs and the red circle on the white twig are his little feet holding on for dear life!  Go back and look!  It'll make sense when you see it!

Until next time, happy sewing!!!  I'm on #2 Charley Harper cardinal.  Seems I can't just make one of anything lately.  lol

7 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Thanks for the smile! Love you work....and the puppy.

sew.darn.quilt said...

Your triplets are charming, you should have a mug rug for your mug. They're great!
I've seen the crayon method but am still a little leary about it, any tips?

Annie said...

Hello dear friend. Thank you so much for my "hanging" mug rug. :-) Your work is always quite cheerful and puts smiles on faces! I think I'm starting a "Carol's Art" wall!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Your fun style always makes me smile Carol!! ....and that puppy is just way too cute!!!

Sewconsult said...

After reading and viewing your artistic talent for quite a while, I knew exactly what the red thing on on the twig was. Wouldn't most people draw a cardinal that way? LOL! I would.
I love the triple threat of mug rugs. They make perfect pieces of art.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Aliceart said...

Love, love those multi-colored fun little quilts! They really are marvelous; looks like some friends are going to get very lucky!

Annieofbluegables said...

I could tell it was his legs and feet on that red bird.

I <3 EVERY.SINGLE.THING. you do.

Congrats on the art class following your quilt as an example. You would be an EXCELLENT teacher. I wish I could take a class from you. *sigh* I wish we were neighbors.

have a wonderful day.
~a