Thursday, September 20, 2012

I love buttons!!

Do you remember this picture from earlier this week?


Well, let me tell you that when I'm cutting circles, I am in my glory because something good will come out of it!  (At least in my mind!)  I just wish I had the patience to do something really big!  Of course then I'd probably need some REALLY big buttons and then the quilt would get so heavy, it might not even stay on the wall.  lol  Anyway, the above picture preceded this:

"The Button Tree"

I am calling it, "The Button Tree".  It ended up at approximately 12 x 15".  I got the idea from someone's Pinterest board, but I'm thinking that it must have originally come from Karla Gerard or another folk artist.  Circle trees are quite popular in folk art (of course many of them are done a bit "duller").  Not me though!  I try to find my brightest Kona cottons for my circles and then (naturally) each gets a button! How fun!  I went a bit nuts with the thread changes on this one:

"The Button Tree" 

I sewed each of those tiny leaves on (by hand) with one stitch each and doing all those buttons was no easy task either.  I placed them on each circle for color and then took a picture of them before removing them all to sew each of them on separately (again by hand, no less).  For sure I need to invest in a thimble for next time!  I had holes in my fingers when I was done!

If you want to see "The Button Tree" in person, be sure to visit the Houston Quilt show at the end of October.  It'll be hanging in the Blumenthal Lansing Co. booth.  (In case you didn't know, they're the biggest button company ever with so many fun buttons, you'd flip!)  

25 comments:

Lesley said...

Your button tree is gorgeous...it just jumps off the page! Well done!

Unknown said...

Amazing qork *_*!

Unknown said...

LOVE it!! LOVE it!!
Gorgeous! :)))

Your work is sooo sweet and positive... make me smile "from ear to ear" :D

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Being a button lover - just love this!!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Oh I love it! Great colors and all those circles and buttons are wonderful. Such a cute idea.

Susan said...

Just fantastic!! do you ever try using your machine for the buttons?? Would save the fingers...

Susan said...

PS I'd love to see it in person - but its a bit far . .

Maritza said...

Carol, este trabajo es precioso!!!! los botones de diferentes colores se ven muy bonitos. Un beso

Sonia B said...

You are so amazing and this tree is stunning. I'm ready to run to my sewing room right now and try to replicate it, but I know it wouldn't be the same. So, so stunning.

Manoli said...

¡¡¡¡¡Pero quĂ© preciosidades haces!!!! FELICIDADES

Jane said...

This is so amazing! I absolutely adore it! The bright colors and the fun buttons just sing.

Annie said...

Well, girlfriend, this means they bought it! Well done! It's absolutely gorgeously fun! You don't just like or love buttons, you are button obsessed! LOL

Cindy Sharp said...

Will you be going to Houston to see your quilty?

2ne said...

Love all the buttons - a great tree and lovely quilting ;-)

Mary said...

Fun Quilt! Lucky you to have it hang in Houston. Houston is on my Bucket list with Paducah, England and Australia!

Anonymous said...

W.O.W! Amazing work!

Ann

Carol said...

Oh My Gosh! I'm in love with that tree. The two things I love most...trees and buttons all in one. I hope you don't mind that I pinned it on Pinterest.

Carol said...

...And I'll be at the Houston quilt show looking for it:)

Dianne said...

FABULOUS darling! :0)

Nancy B said...

Oh, I just love all the colors! This quilt is one of my faves.

Happy Sewing!

Nancy

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Outstanding, as always.

Anja said...

Hi Carol!
This is soooo beautiful! I love trees! Cute buttons!

Jo said...

So that is what all those circles were for. You must have the patients of a saint to sit and cut all those little circles, but obviously well worth at it...looks great

Amanda Jean said...

ack! Carol! this is fantastic!!! love every bit of it.

Sewconsult said...

I love this! Thurs night, my 92yr old mother fell and was taken to the ER. As I rushed to her side, I grabbed my iPad to be able to email family, etc. While Mother was taken to xray and catscan, I kept myself occupied looking at your Flicker pics. Your wonderful work kept me calm and able to cope with the stress of the night. Just wanted to share and tell you that I think you are GREAT!
Beckie in Brentwood, TN